Global Arena provides personalized intercultural training programs with the goal of alleviating our clients’ cultural issues. Our trainings are customized based on our clients’ needs and requirements. Below is another example in our Connecting Cultures series.
Global Arena has designed and delivered several intercultural training programs for the U.S.-based employees of a company headquartered in southern Europe that started U.S. operations back in 2005. We recently provided support to a financial officer being transferred from Spain to the U.S. to manage a large project for the company and, among other cultural aspects, he had concerns about how to effectively manage American employees under his supervision. We designed an intercultural training program that covered cultural awareness, international business skills (specifically how to conduct business in the U.S.), and how those concepts are connected in order to effectively and efficiently manage American employees.
The executive was provided with a one-day intercultural Business Skills Training at the customer’s U.S. headquarters. Our trainer covered the following:
• The social and cultural environment the U.S.
• Developing a greater awareness of one’s own culture, and how this influences expectations and performance.
• Explaining and understanding similarities and differences in cultural values and how these values impact business and personal activities.
• Help to identify appropriate cross-cultural competencies and strategies. These will enhance effectiveness while integrating into the new culture.
International Business Skills Program
• Understanding the impact of cultural values and customs on global business goals.
• Overview of the U.S. business and cultural environments.
• Identifying key cultural contrasts between the two cultures that will impede interaction.
• Comparing the management and decision-making styles of the two countries, to identify what adjustments or considerations will be needed for harmonizing the two styles.
• Outlining strategies for continued development and continued success in this culture.
A personal assessment was conducted prior to the training in order to ensure that the course content and teaching methods achieved the trainee’s learning goals. The training was provided by a cross-cultural and business expert, with in-depth knowledge of intercultural communication and country-specific issues.
The executive was extremely pleased with the program and the knowledge he gained. He thought the trainer and the content were excellent at addressing his specific cultural concerns. By incorporating real life examples into the training and targeting specific areas of concern, the trainee learned to be more aware of his behaviors and how they affect the work environment. The training eased the financial officer’s concerns and helped him to feel better prepared for his new role in a new country.
Global Arena’s intercultural training program helped to overcome cultural barriers in the situation described above. International operations can be negatively affected if the company does not consider how to establish and maintain a culturally sensitive environment. Global Arena is dedicated to easing your company’s cultural disparities. For additional information, don’t hesitate to contact us using our request a quote form and a Global Arena representative will get in touch.